Sunday, August 26, 2012

Egg Allergy


Last week I was cooking supper and a happy gaggle of children were watching from the doorway. This is quite common and I love giving the children a taste of this and a sniff of that. I was attempting to construct lentil burgers (I still cook like a hippy) and had added the onion and spices. I needed to add a couple of eggs but I stopped. I couldn’t.

I found it impossible to add eggs to my meal when I knew the children would LOVE an egg in their diet. We find catering a real balancing act. We try to be generous with our groceries but we can’t, and shouldn’t, supply too much. The children’s diets here are very limited and we are trying to expand the variety of foods available by growing a range seedlings and giving them to children and Mama’s to grow in their gardens. It is also a harsh truth that almost all the staff have only recently received their wage for February (all donations would be gratefully received!). This has the effect of radically simplifying everyone’s diet. We want to be sensitive to all of this but we also want our children to have good nutrition (sometimes we smuggle our groceries back to the house at night).

I gave the audience to my cooking show a whiff of the lentil burger mixture then waited until they had run off before adding the eggs.

Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment