Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Travel Guides



Last week we went to a campsite in Harare called ‘It’s A Small World’, and we met two Lonely Planet authors from Melbourne! We told them all about Epworth and the balancing rocks because they had no time to go and see them because they were going to Japan after they’d stayed at Small World. They asked us what we were missing about Australia, and I said my friends. They said they were missing Vegemite! I’ve been reading loads of travel guides recently so I can visit all the places that I want to see, but I can only visit them in my imagination, at least, until I’m old enough to visit them. I’ve been reading about Britain, and after a chapter I switch to something else, then I read a chapter and switch, etc., so I’ve read all of Russia, Scotland twice, a bit of Poland, some of France, a portion of Japan, three lines of India (I keep getting distracted, because I like India a lot, so I read a line then say “Hey Dad, Did you go there?” and we end up having a long discussion), quite a lot of Ireland, a few chapters of Iceland, a small amount of Germany and a little bit of Sweden, and I would’ve read a lot more, except we didn’t have any more travel guides. But you don’t want to hear me jabbering on about my last few months’ reading agenda. Dad tried to get me to read the full ‘Around The World In Eighty Days’ by Jules Verne, but every time Phileas Fogg was in any country, I thought “Hmm, that’s interesting,” and started flipping through the travel guides to find that country, and get so distracted I completely forget poor old Phileas Fogg and his adventures around the world in eighty days.

Abbey

3 comments:

  1. Hi Abbey, I liked your post on different countries that you have 'visited'. I hope that one day you will really be able to see all these different places. I think you should read up on Mexico. It is an interesting country, too. I have the Lonely Planet book of Mexico. Perhaps you can read some of it when you come through Melbourne. I'm glad that Clare had a great birthday. Love to all the family, Auntie Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Abbey, I'm an old friend of your mother's family but I haven't met you because we live too far apart. Your parents visited me once when I lived in England and before you were born. It's lovely to read of your interest in this fascinating world. I note, especially, that you read the Scotland guide twice. That's quite something! Well, I live in the Highlands of Scotland (near Inverness) and I just wanted to say that it is truly a wonderful country, well worth visiting. When you are old enough and you do come to Scotland, I hope you will visit us. In the mean time, enjoy travelling in your imagination. Please give my love to all the family too.

    Love,
    Anthea Vaughan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ms. Vaughan,
    I'll be there in half an hour! (In my imagination). I thank you for your offer. I will definitely visit if I come to Scotland. Mum and Dad send their warm greetings and have very happy memories of visiting you. I hope I will have happy memories of visiting Scotland if I ever am lucky enough to visit.

    Love,
    Abigail (Abbey) Maynard

    ReplyDelete