Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Random Things I've Learned in Zimbabwe

 
o   Shona. It is a beautiful language
o   The pain of hair braiding.
o   How to play the tin whistle…badly.
o   How to drink Fanta without grimacing. I don’t normally like soft drinks.
o   How to read a map of downtown Harare. Unfortunately it means that I am always voted navigator.
o   How to grow a garden.
o   How to catch termites with spit on a stick. I wouldn’t try it if I were you!
o   How to cope without running water.
o   How to cope without much electricity or internet.
o   How to make new friends and miss old ones.
o   How to spot chameleons. They are possibly the weirdest animals in the world!
o   Patience. Zimbabweans are often late.
o   How to carry water on my head. It hurts!
o   How to be singled out and stared at.
o   How to be laughed at for making a mistake.
o   How to haggle.
o   How to be friendly and greet EVERYONE.
o   How to walk 2km in 2½” heels. DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!!
o   How to have no TV.
o   How to spot zebras. I spotted some zebras!
Abbey

4 comments:

  1. Great Abbey, some, if not all, deserve extra commentary....in future blogs. Speaking of old friends - wish we could send you a picture of Koriander, she is well and her vocabulary is still expanding. Love from us st Symmons Plains in Tassie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What is her vocab like? Rude, loud, cute, annoying?????

      Delete
  2. Not rude! Just ineteresting. Also Koriander says the same word in many different ways - like experimenting with the sound, often with the name Koriander - its very funny. If you bring sonmething nice - Koriender will sometimes say 'oooh' in a very interested/excited kind of way. When we say "where's Abbey?" she'll answer 'Zimbabwe'! Isaac and Jacinta (and even I) sometimes get pretty annoyed with all the noise Koriender can make, but sometimes I think its just because someone forgot to give Koriander new seed and Korander is saying feed me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello abbey this is nick!! Can't wait till you get back in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!! Speaking about missing old friends... I MISS YOU!!!! I am interested to see how our personalities have changed. I hope you can maybe stay at our house or the boarding house when I get back. If I could I'd spent ever moment possible when u get back! I hope I don't make u miss me more by sending this =D =' ). See u then. Nick

    ReplyDelete